30 March 2014

Tutu Love

After finishing the NYC Marathon in 2013, I was overcome with emotion. Not my fastest marathon by far (3:45) BUT I had run a PR for 24 hours (nearly 116 miles) the week before, where I also placed second USATF woman and won $750. I started sobbing of what a long running journey I had been on and who even knew? Most people in NYC really only care about the marathons, not these crazy long-ass races I like to do. But I can do both, and enjoy both.
copyright robert james reese




Recently, Self Magazine criticized a woman who ran a marathon in a tutu, ranking it high on their "BS" meter as "lame." (BTW Self, calling something "lame" is not exactly PC or sensitive. HELLO!) Turns out, the runner was fighting cancer and was running through chemo. Pretty impressive and amazing. There was zero reason Self should have been nasty, condescending, and cruel - esp about a woman fighting cancer.

Self, I will never buy your magazine.

3 comments:

David H. said...

Was waiting for your comment on this issue, given your love of tutus and the incredible insensitivity displayed by Self. I only wish I subscribed so I could cancel.

V said...

David: right on! What a shame they have such a misleading title for their publication. Self implies "be yourself" to me. Not be yourself as long as you conform to mainstream culture. Shame on them.

V said...

David: right on! What a shame they have such a misleading title for their publication. Self implies "be yourself" to me. Not be yourself as long as you conform to mainstream culture. Shame on them.