08 May 2012

Idiots Across the U.S. (This Time, In Utah)

As a woman, I have been sadly witnessing as my reproductive rights are being stripped away, as fast as republicans and anti-choicers are able to. Utah just installed a 72 HOUR waiting period.   


In case you're not so up on waiting periods, this basically means you for a first visit and then have to return to get your procedure 72 hours later. Why does this suck? A plethora reasons including:
  • More time off work. This penalizes poor and rural and young women, and those who can't take time off work.
  • Difficult to access. If it's far, and someone doesn't own a car, doesn't have the time to travel, can't get there easily - this just makes it harder.
  • An abortion is not an easy decision. By insisting that women think about it, you know, because, as complete a-hole Representative Steve Eliason says, " "The focus of this bill is women having time to consider all of the information that is given to them when facing a life-altering decision that somebody else is making money off of." I don't think that my health food store is making money off me when I buy milk, that my physical therapist is making money off me when I get my treatment. Crass jerk, that Steve Eliason is.

No comments: