22 March 2012

Dances with Dirt 50 miler...Again!

It's my third year in a row running the Dances with Dirt Green Swamp 50 Miler down in Florida, and while I wouldn't say it's the most spectacular race, I do like it. The folks are nice that organize it, it's small and not too crazy, the course isn't too insane, it's a great training run for longer ultras, plus, it's close to Gram.


I'm not in my best shape ever - I know this. A trip to Peru filled with tummy troubles and high altitude asthma problems, followed by more asthma problems, led me to finally regain my strength - only to be slammed with a case of food poisoning on Sunday. (Oh, Whole Foods salad bar, how could you fail me?) earlier this week - leading my body to become completely sick. Today is the first day since Sunday that I feel hungry - I just have felt too ill and too weak to want to eat.


But beach running today and yesterday have filled me with love and energy for the long run - though the runs were short, they were short in recovery from illness, and in preparation for Saturday's race.


Yes, it involved a flight, a long drive (4 hours each way from Gram's), plus hotel's, an annoying drive, did I mention a long drive? But it's fun. It'll be a beautiful day running my favourite distance - and what better way to spend a day than running?


Well, yes, sleeping in late with one's love and brunch and all that is also a wonderful way to spend a day...and yes, the beach...but this comes in just with those!

No comments: