13 July 2011

This is Not What I Want to Hear

Horrible night, slept poorly. Nelson, my running partner and I both agreed to not run this a.m., we needed more sleep, I'd run tonight, so no adrenalin flooding through my body. And I slept in. And my house was trashed and I threw on a sundress, my shades, and clipped my hair up.


And after crossing the street, juggling with what music to listen to while balancing my bags, a van backing into the driveway whistled at me. I stopped. The driver got out. 


"Why did you do that? Did you think I'd appreciate that? That doesn't make me feel good."


The guy stammered, "I...uh...I'm sorry."


"That's really not acceptable. I don't appreciate being whistled at or treated like that."


"I'm sorry..."


I'm sick of this. They don't get it. What would make a man think that a whistle, a hey baby, a leer out the window would make them feel good? If anything, it makes me feel like I need to take a shower to wipe any imprint their slimy eyes left on my body. Do you know how it feels to go back home after leaving your house to put on a longer skirt? Do you know what it feels like to feel happy that you look good - only to feel like no, you're just a sex object for men to leer at and fuck.


Not what I want to wake up to. And definitely not what I want to hear.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Good for you for saying something to the creep. Basically, every time I get up the guts to talk back to some asshole who catcalls at me I get called a bitch or worse. It's important to do it though. And you told him exactly how shitty he made you feel and maybe, just maybe he will think twice next time.

xoxo