09 July 2005

amsterdam is pretty, but i'm not into the pot

last night five of my roommates and i went for a walk around the red light district. very entertaining. we met some stupid boys from the usa and they were super arrogant and i felt very embarassed as all my roommates were from other countries: please, we are not all like that!

i went to this contemporary art museum here in amsterdam and they had some fantastic art. i feel the more i see "jesus art" (religious art) the more i am sick of it. i'm really into contemporary art, art that i have to think about to figure out. Willem de Rooij had an amazing collage of photos of resistance and war over the past couple of years. very, very powerful. i almost expected to see myself in some of the protest photos.

feel so far from the american protest scene. miss cheering. i don't know what's going on in the world right now, i'm a backpacker.


Anonymous said...

Hi Cheryl! I am in Urbana, Illinois for my MLIS program. I have thought about you a lot. I hope all is well with your trip. Crazy to be in Europe with the recent attack... Amsterdam, huh? I was voted in high school as the most likely to live in Amsterdam. I was a stoner....

Anna " radical librarian in training"

Anonymous said...

okay, all you radical librarians, here's a link you might enjoy:


also, the post on prison libraries from the above site contianed this link (so those with a heart connection to NYC can be proud):



It sounds like your dream trip, alternating with bouts of homesickness, has only just begun!

Wishing you many more unexpected twists and turns along the way.

With love, and a stinky, sweaty hug from "hot town, summer in the city, back of my neck gettin' dirty and gritty. All around people lookin' half dead walkin' on a sidewalk hotter than a match head..."

Woodside, NY
P.S. Living vicariously has its merits, too, you know.