09 July 2005

amsterdam is pretty, but i'm not into the pot

last night five of my roommates and i went for a walk around the red light district. very entertaining. we met some stupid boys from the usa and they were super arrogant and i felt very embarassed as all my roommates were from other countries: please, we are not all like that!

i went to this contemporary art museum here in amsterdam and they had some fantastic art. i feel the more i see "jesus art" (religious art) the more i am sick of it. i'm really into contemporary art, art that i have to think about to figure out. Willem de Rooij had an amazing collage of photos of resistance and war over the past couple of years. very, very powerful. i almost expected to see myself in some of the protest photos.

feel so far from the american protest scene. miss cheering. i don't know what's going on in the world right now, i'm a backpacker.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cheryl! I am in Urbana, Illinois for my MLIS program. I have thought about you a lot. I hope all is well with your trip. Crazy to be in Europe with the recent attack... Amsterdam, huh? I was voted in high school as the most likely to live in Amsterdam. I was a stoner....

Love,
Anna " radical librarian in training"

Anonymous said...

okay, all you radical librarians, here's a link you might enjoy:

http://www.radicalreference.info/

also, the post on prison libraries from the above site contianed this link (so those with a heart connection to NYC can be proud):

http://www.booksthroughbars.org/index.html

Cherie,

It sounds like your dream trip, alternating with bouts of homesickness, has only just begun!

Wishing you many more unexpected twists and turns along the way.

With love, and a stinky, sweaty hug from "hot town, summer in the city, back of my neck gettin' dirty and gritty. All around people lookin' half dead walkin' on a sidewalk hotter than a match head..."

Rich
Woodside, NY
P.S. Living vicariously has its merits, too, you know.